Your Guide Through Probate
Probate is the process of administering an estate according to the terms of a will, or if there is no will, according to the letter of the law. The Law Office of Richard Weaver, located in McKinney, Texas, represents executors and administrators during this entire process, helping ensure that they fulfill their legal duty.
Our Probate Services
- Muniment of Title
- Issuance of Letters Testamentary
- Determination of Heirship
- Dependent Administration
- Independent Administration
- Preparation of Wills and Accompanying Documents
Understanding The Probate Process
After the death of a loved one, an executor, or administrator of an estate must present the will to a probate judge, who will then evaluate it for validity and authenticity. Once the will is verified, the executor must complete three basic functions:
- Take inventory of all the assets to be distributed
- Pay any necessary taxes and outstanding debts
- Distribute the property and monetary assets to beneficiaries according to the exact terms of the will – If a loved one dies intestate (without a will), the estate administrator must transfer the assets according to the probate court’s ruling.
While probate often takes place without incident, conflicts may arise over the distribution of assets, or the validity of the will. With over 45 years of experience handling estate planning and probate procedures, Attorney Richard Weaver understands the challenges facing his clients. He assists them with meeting these challenges and resolving disputes through negotiations and litigation, whenever necessary.
How Long Does Probate Take?
While each case is different, probate in Texas can take anywhere from two months to a year. The process may take longer if there are complex assets and real estate holdings, or if a family member disputes the will.
Contact an Experienced Lawyer
Probate can be a confusing and emotionally challenging process if you do not know what to expect. At the Law Office of Richard Weaver, located in McKinney, you can speak openly about your concerns with a trusted attorney. Your questions will be answered, and you will be counseled on the intricacies of the probate process before you proceed. Contact Richard Weaver today for an initial consultation. Call 972-562-0935.
Calls are answered twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Credit cards are accepted.