Child Custody And Child Support Modifications In Texas

Has your child custody or support order become out-of-date? These agreements or court orders are often made when children are young, typically at the time of divorce, and they do not always serve the family well as children grow older.

Perhaps you or the child’s other parent has to move, and this will change your parenting time. Or, maybe one of you earns substantially more or less money than when the child support order was put into place. Texas law allows you to modify child custody and child support arrangements if certain circumstances warrant it.

The Law Office of Richard Weaver in McKinney can help you pursue or fight post-judgment modifications. It is very important to consult with a family law attorney to ensure that your plans are officially modified with the court. If you fail to do this, you could end up in contempt of court.

Learn about your options. Call 972-562-0935 or contact Richard Weaver online to discuss your case for free during an initial consultation.

When Can You Change A Child Custody Or Child Support Order?

Under Texas law, there are only certain situations in which you can modify a child custody or child support order.

Grounds for modifications include:

  • The circumstances of either parent or of the child have changed substantially and materially. This might include job loss, remarriage or relocation for a parent, or a change in school tuition or health care for the child.
  • The custodial parent has voluntarily given up custody to someone else.
  • The child is over the age of 12 and has requested a change from the court.

A modification must also be in the child’s best interests, as this is the rule in Texas for all child support and custody matters.

With over 45 years of legal experience, attorney Richard Weaver is prepared to help you handle a modification to your child support or child custody arrangement.

The Law Office Of Richard Weaver Can Answer Your Questions

Child custody and child support disputes are stressful on everyone involved. Talking to a family law attorney should not add to your strain. You can speak with an experienced lawyer in a comfortable and inviting environment at the Law Office of Richard Weaver for free.

Richard Weaver can help you understand your options regarding child custody and support modifications. Please contact the law firm today to request a free initial consultation. Call 972-562-0935 or send the firm an email to get started. Calls are answered 24 hours a day and credit cards are accepted.

Our Practice Areas

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Child Custody And Child Support Modifications